Tuesday, April 16th
Incorporating Design Thinking with project management concepts can be daunting because it involves human centered activities that may seem disruptive of the structured process we value as project managers. In this talk, Amanda will share how to incorporate various techniques of design thinking into how we interact with stakeholders and strive for creative solutions to complex problems in an ever increasing lean environment.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Amanda Maness, PMP, is a scientist, operations manager and project manager. She is currently serving as project manager and business strategist for a local ServiceMaster franchise, ServiceMaster by Stratos. In her current role, she is responsible for developing and implementing business systems and strategies to scale for recent growth. She is also actively driving new technology development and enhancing data analytics throughout the organization. Amanda is a scientist at heart and energized by her analytical mind. She enjoys fostering inclusive collaboration within cross functional teams and finding practical and conscientious solutions to complex problems.
Amanda is a proud graduate of Massachusetts Maritime Academy and former U.S. Merchant Marine. Upon graduation, she pursued her M.S. in Marine Geology from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington where she also led offshore research expeditions for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Undersea Research Center (NOAA NURC).
Her career includes operations management and project management of undersea fiber optic cable survey & system design, offshore geologic and geophysical projects in oil & gas exploration, oil & gas R&D projects, and technology development.
Amanda is a native Memphian, but her former roles have gifted her the opportunity to lead projects in 12 countries and all oceans in-between. She has recently moved back home to be closer to family but sneaks off to surf and scuba dive any chance she can get.
To register, click here
The Value of Classes from PMI Memphis
PMI Memphis strives to provide value to its members and other local professionals by offering lower cost certification training options. We have a deep bench of PMP-certified members who have passion and talent for sharing their knowledge to students. That allows us to offer PMP/CAPM prep classes as much as $1200 cheaper than other providers who bring class offerings to town. CAPM candidates can take our PMP classes. The key difference is that CAPM is useful for people who haven’t yet accrued the requisite work experience to sit for the PMP exam.
PMI Memphis works with other educators to bring lower cost, instructor-led prep classes for other certifications into the area as well. Those offerings, when available, are always promoted in the Calendar on the PMI Memphis website.
We will soon be offering random workshops covering PMP Application Tips. Depending on the venue, it might be free, or charges may apply to cover costs. Stay tuned to the www.pmimemphis.org for that. We will publish an article and registration events for these workshops.
Be a helpful member: Share the value by sharing the Info/Registration links for the PMI Memphis classes listed below on your LinkedIn, Facebook, or other social media accounts.
Planned Certification Prep Dates
- PMP/CAPM – April 9-11 Bootcamp
- Closed to a single company at request of that company
- PMP/CAPM – July 16-Aug 8 – Register now via the event information here
- Held Tue/Thur evenings at Embry Riddle from 5:30 to 9:30 pm
- $795/$845 Member/Non-Member price.
- Register before June 14 to save $50
- PMP/CAPM Prep – Oct 1-24 – Register now via the event information here
- Held Tue/Thur evenings at Embry Riddle from 5:30 to 9:30 pm
- $795/$845 Member/Non-Member price.
- Register before August 20 to save $50
Got Questions? Contact [email protected]
PM members can hack too!
Our very own PMI Memphis Chapter members, Christine Lee and Diondria Clarke-Holliman teamed up with external IT colleagues to win first place at a recent Hackathon held on Feb. 8-10th in Nashville, TN. This event was offered in partnership with Women4Blockchain, whose mission is to build and empower pioneers in the world of blockchain technology for both women and men.
In the health care and banking industry, major corporations will sponsor Hackathons to incentivize “ethical” hackers to use the same tools “criminal” hackers use to steal or destroy information in order to expose & fix vulnerable programs. Often these programs run in blended environments with older software/hardware that are still unpatched, or they’re connected to things they shouldn’t be, or default passwords are left in place deep inside the code. Just like other project management efforts, much of Diondria’s and Christine’s time was spent communicating with the client and documenting key deliverables to summarize results.
The long weekend consisted of interesting workshops & panel discussions, talented hackers, and challenging judges. Team were paired with a mentor from the blockchain industry in the areas of health care, supply chain management, banking and fintech, and hardware mining. Their team known as the Charizards received “monetary” first-place prizes from event sponsor First Tennessee Bank for creating a working digital cryptocurrency wallet solution on iPhone and resolving software vulnerabilities in open source code on GitCoin.
Diondria summarizes “Our team formed from a special interest Meetup group which we all joined on our personal time to keep up with the trends and sharpen my technical skills. I also volunteer as a middle school programming mentor for the Medtronic sponsored Mindstorm competition, so it’s a necessity for me to step out of my comfort zone too.” Several members of the Charizards will go on to represent the Memphis metro area at much larger Hackathon events throughout the year. Wish them luck! ????
Local PMI member in the news
Medtronic: IT Project Portfolio Manager
PMI Memphis Chapter: VP of Finance
(Transitioning July 2019)
PM Network Magazine:"Bracing For The Storm"
by Katie Gustafson
March 2019 Edition
Our very own PMI Memphis Chapter board member, Diondria Clarke-Holliman, contributed once again as a thought leader for the PM Network, an award-winning global magazine. In the March 2019 edition, PMI Global interviewed three portfolio managers from around the globe to explore how industries can make the most of the current economic upswing to protect and strengthen their portfolios during economic dips.
Every organization is focusing on improving the bottom line all the time. Over 3 years ago, Diondria forecasted that innovation-focused portfolios would become a new world reality in the January 2016 edition (see past article) and we are already starting to see resources (funding, people, material) being formally allocated at various companies. Even new “good” ideas need to be vetted on how they will bring tangible business value. We all have witnessed many companies become extinct from the “me too” concept when it comes to providing unique products & services offerings and we are glad to have Diondria represent us in making a difference.
Click the link below to learn more about Diondria’s perspective on pages 35-40.
Active Members: 602
Welcome New Members!
|Daniel Bradford||Booz Allen Hamilton|
|Vinayak Deo||Syntel, Inc.|
|Victoria Loudon-Hossler||St Jude Children's Research Hospital|
|Candace Kinley||Buckman Labs|
|Frank Lady III||Bank of America|
|Marc Licata||Thomas & Betts Corporation|
|Rima Logan||International Paper|
|Riley Matthews||Rilo Group, LLC|
|Bradley Ross||CACI Federal|
Announcement of Job Opening at ALSAC/St Jude
Senior Advisor – Risk.
Interested parties should apply online at https://www.stjude.org/jobs/alsac.html or the direct link to Sr Advisor – Risk.
Contact for questions regarding this position should be addresssed to: [email protected] Include Sr Risk Advisor in subject line when responding.
Under the direction of the Sr Director – Corporate Compliance, the Risk Advisor provides leadership, consulting and strategic services for ALSAC’s Risk Management Program. Responsible for understanding and documenting critical business functions and identifying areas of risk. Strong risk management, project management and governance frameworks experience.
- Demonstrated ability for critical thinking and problem solving skills as well as tactical execution to meet strict deadlines in compressed time periods;
- Requires in-depth knowledge of risk management, best practices as evidenced by mid-level professional certification from a nationally or internationally recognized organization;
- 5 years’ + experience managing operational risk, and assessing, implementing and improving organizational processes;
- 2-3 years’ experience with project or program management; understanding of operations or various lines of business and/or Risk Management;
- Strong knowledge of (or ability to quickly learn) the organization and the ability to develop a clear understanding of the key functional processes and resources;
- Self-motivated and ability to be flexible and work independently; set priorities for self and others; effectively matrix manage risk teams; supervisory experience; strong decision making abilities; time management; analytical thinking;
- Excellent communication skills to interact with all levels of the organization, especially related to facilitation, documentation and reporting.
- Highly developed relationship management, influencing, and leadership skills.
- Strong computer skills including database use and database management experience.
- Knowledge ordinarily acquired through Bachelor’s Degree and 7 to 10 years related experience in business operations.
- Desired: Industry certification or equivalent experience in one or more of the following areas and/or other related professional designation: PRM, CRISC, CRMP, PMP, PMI-RMP
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
More avenues to look for jobs related to Project Management
1. Check out the latest Jobs in Memphis Area
2. PMI - Carreer HQ: PMI Career Headquarters is the premier electronic recruitment resource for your industry. Here, employers and recruiters can access the most qualified talent pool of Project Management Professionals to meet their staffing needs.