PMI Memphis April 2021 Newsletter
Desk of the President
Start with Trust
Steven Covey said, “The ability to establish, grow, extend, and restore trust is the key professional and personal competency of our time.”
A project is microcosm of Life. Like Life, it has a start, an end, and results in something. A project manager rarely has input into who is assigned to work the project. One of the PM’s most important tasks is to quickly build an efficient, high-performing Team out of diverse, and sometimes, unknown people.
None of us is a sole practitioner in Life. We all must participate in formal and informal teams, and sometimes we get to lead them. In Life, like in work projects, we do not always get to select those with whom we work on Life’s journey.
In Teams, the most important success factor is Trust. Once earned, it must be protected. If lost due to some error or mistake, it takes hard work to earn it back. Today’s culture makes developing Trust very difficult. So many forces seem to be at work to cause division rather than unity.
As project practitioners, what can we do to make Life and Culture work better? Grow Trust by demonstrating Trust and developing it in others, just like we do with our Teams.
Calendar of Events
Gaining Operational Efficiency Using PM Tools
May 12, 2021 Chapter Meeting, 6-7:30 PM - Click here to Register
Teams can gain operational efficiencies by maximizing team effectiveness. Teams can become more agile as they develop team agile capabilities. In this presentation, Kelly Drozd will provide tips on how to achieve operational efficiencies by using PM tools to focus on people, team visibility and transparency, and adaptability.
About the Speaker: Kelly Drozd
Kelly Drozd is a currently part of the Atlassian TEAM as a Product Marketing Manager for Jira Software. She is an arranger and futuristic, a dot-connector and a problem solver that is naturally curious and consistently seeking to understand how things work and how to make them more efficient and effective. She has a passion for people and thrives on building relationships and mentoring and developing others. She has taken many risks throughout her career to get out of her comfort zone. These experiences have broadened her knowledge and have provided her with a unique and diverse perspective. From 2016 to 2020, she served the ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Marketing Division with a focus on Agile adoption and transformation, driving operational excellence and helping teams work better together.
In her personal life, she enjoys practicing yoga, cycling, juggling a wide range of podcasts and audiobooks, and spending quality time with her dogs & her incredible partner.
PMP Certification Prep - July-August Instructor-Led Series
Dates, Times, and Fees
- Dates: Tuesday and Thursday nights, 6-9 pm, from July 20 to August 26
- Price: $1000 for Members if registered/paid by June 29, $1250 if registered by July 18. (Non-members pay $100 more). $50 Late fees apply.
- Instructor-led, interactive class held through virtual meeting technology
- Course materials cover written and online materials, including test banks
- Meet the trainer - previous Lunch & Learn for PMI Memphis (code m8w?mm$u)
RefineM provides all the material that is necessary to pass the test, neither too little nor too much.
- Pre- and post-training packages/assessments to help you get maximum ROI from the class.
- PMP Exam Prep material provided by PMI.
- Short Videos on targeted specific PMP Exam topics.
- A case study that will be used throughout the course for better understanding the concepts.
- A full-length (200-question) practice test provided by PMI.
- 90-day subscription to RefineM’s on-line PMP Exam Prep test simulator with a question
bank of more than 1,000 high-quality questions developed by experienced PMP instructors.
- 90-day Subscription to RefineM's Agile Fundamentals Self-Paced Online Course to help you
gain foundational Agile knowledge for the exam.
- A “brain dump” of critical exam topics to record on scrap paper.
- Unlimited Post-training support to help students prepare and pass the exam.
- Subscription to RefineM's PDU Bundle so students can earn Professional Development Units
after attaining their certification.
Address questions to [email protected].
Set Your Own Pace and Keep Learning
PMI Memphis wants to make it easy and cost effective for members and guests to improve knowledge and skills as a way of life. That being the case, PMI Memphis is partnering with RefineM in 2021 to bring continuous education opportunities and discounts to our members.
Self-Paced Products and Online Training – Save 25% by using code PMIMEMPHIS
Self-Paced Online Training
Instructor-Led Live Training – Save 15% by using code PMIMEMPHIS-LIVE
If you already have a PMI certification, you can report your PDUs on www.ccrs.pmi.org using your PMI.org login and password.
Welcome New Members
Welcome New Members
We would like to welcome (or welcome back) these new members to PMI Memphis. We are so glad you joined us.
- Gabrielle Kelley – Deloitte
- Catrina Williams – MLGW
- Tori Mason – FedEx Services
- Corrine Lincoln – US Postal Service
- Kimbra Toney – Allworld Project Management
- Hardy Taylor – FedEx Express
Thank you to these renewing members whose memberships with PMI Memphis are reaching great milestones:
1 Year Anniversary
- Joshua Haden – Stryker
- Allen Gibson – DHS
- Micah Bender
- Raenesia Jones
- Bradley Pennington – Airborne Command & Control & Logistics Wing
- Lillique Ford
- James Vaughn – GE Healthcare
5 Year Anniversary
- Amanda Maness – ServiceMaster by Stratos
- Cheryl Moore – FedEx
- Vincent Best – Leroy-Somer
- Stephanie Beasley – International Paper
10 Year Anniversary
- Scott Barnes – Sedgewick CMS
- Carolyn Tolley – ALSAC/St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital
15 Year Anniversary
- Patricia Brotherton – AT&T
20 Year Anniversary
- Check back next Month!
Note: If you believe that your membership has lapsed, login to www.pmi.org and review your Profile and Member settings. All changes to your personal member data are made the PMI.org member profile, including name, mailing address, company, and email address for all PMI (global and chapter) mailings, communications, and membership renewals.
In our current chapter we have the following numbers of certification holders among our members:
- PMP 333
- PMI-ACP 20
- CAPM 17
- PMI-RMP 1
- PgMP 1
Congratulations to the following members for earning NEW CERTIFICATIONS this month:
- Carol Davis, PMI-ACP
- Donna Franklin West, PMP
- David Klimetz, PMI-ACP
- Harold Mitchell, Jr., PMP
- Rebekah Propst, PMP
- Brian Barnes, CAPM
Note: Do you want to recognize one of our members for a Promotion, New Job, or some other Achievement? Tell us about it at [email protected], and we will recognize that member here!