PMI Memphis January 2021 Newsletter
Desk of the President
Thank you to everyone for participating in 2020 PMI Memphis activities. We provided 3 PMP Prep courses, hosted a variety of interesting speakers, collaborated with 5 other chapters to offer a 3-day, multi-chapter Professional Development day to our members, and capped off the year with a panel discussion regarding managing careers.
In the December election, the members voted to accept the updated . Our members elected one new board member, and Michael will start a 6-month transition period this month, with voting privileges beginning July 1. The election also brings back one returning board member to fill a currently empty position.
If you want to volunteer your services with any of these board members as a volunteer, contact them through the emails provided. Volunteering is a fantastic way to prepare to serve as a board member.
- - Cath Knabb, reelected
- - Brian Wiersma, reelected
- - Amanda Maness, reelected
- -Tamara Brown, reelected
- - Cherlyn Conner, reelected
- - Joy Toney, reelected
- - Chandy Littlejohn, position was vacant
- - John Geisert, outgoing (Michael Leachman, term begins July 1)
- VP Publications – vacant – contact
- VP Public Relations – vacant – contact
Calendar of Events
Doctoral Study - Best Project Management Practices and Future Categorization of Project Management Control Activities
- January 14, 2021, 6 pm meeting
- Free for PMI Memphis members, $5.00 for non-members
- Click Here to Register Now
Dr. Cheryln Conner recently completed the defense of her dissertation and was awarded her Doctorate. Prior to that, she invited PMI Memphis to participate in her dissertation study. The study had two primary stakeholder groups: (a) those with expertise in project management; and (b) strategy implementation. The problem that drove the research design and study was that project failure does not differentiate why it failed based on the type of project or the type of industry. To reduce failure rates and successfully deliver strategies in 2020 and beyond, this study gained consensus on industry best practices among a panel of project manager experts (PMEs) as to the future categorization of project management control activities to strengthen project planning and execution in project-based organizations (PBOs).
Welcome New Members
We would like to welcome (or welcome back) these new members to PMI Memphis. We are so glad you joined us.
- Solomon Akinduro – ACOT Associates Group
- Daniel Forgey – FedEx Express
- Lynette Larkins – St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Courtney Mays – St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Donald E Murphy – FedEx Supply Chain
- Janice Pittman – Walmart
- Teresa Thompson – ARS Limited Inc.
- Ann Williams – North Mississippi Medical Center
Thank you to these members whose memberships with PMI Memphis are reaching great milestones:
5 Year Anniversary
- John Zanella – Wright Medical
10 Year Anniversary
- Michael Watt – FedEx Corporate Services
15 Year Anniversary
- David Hernandez – FedEx Supply Chain
20 Year Anniversary
- Michael S Martin – FedEx Express World Headquarters
Note: If you believe that your membership has lapsed, login to www.pmi.org and review your Profile and Member settings. All changes to member data are made here, including mailing address and email address for all PMI (global and chapter) mailings and communications.
We want to recognize the hard work and successes of these members for their newly minted certifications. Congratulations on earning your certfications!!!
- Stephanie Beasley – PMP
- Micah Bender – CAPM
- Tracy Bernard – PMP
- Michael Hooks, Jr. – PMP
- Caroline Hough – PMP
- Courtney Mays – PMP
- Dean Pere – PMP
- Heather Pike – PMP
- Ben Roberts – PMP
- Aman Seth – PMP
- Katie Simmons – PMP
- Allen Tabor – PMP
- Chelsea Wall – PMP