In addition to celebrating the PMI Memphis/UM partnership, we will be featuring a dynamic panel discussion: Managing Career Changes as Project Management Changes
PMI Chapter Meeting to be held at UM's Fogelman College, Room 118 on Wednesday, December 5, 2018.
On December 5, members of PMI Memphis will celebrate with the University of Memphis MIS3885 students who participate in the project management challenge event. Awards will be presented to the winning student project team, and all the students and volunteers will be recognized. A catered dinner will be provided. Please come support the chapter’s involvement in the program and celebrate with these students. Some of them might be your team members in the near future.
- Chapter business
- Brief history of the PMI Memphis/UM partnership
- Acknowledge the students, mentors, and judges
- Celebrate the winning team
- Panel Discussion - Panel Topic – Managing Career Changes as Project Management Changes
- Angela Copeland - Angela is a career coach and founder of her firm, Copeland Coaching. She is host of the Copeland Coaching Podcast, columnist for Career Corner newspaper column, and author of the book Breaking the Rules & Getting the Job. Angela shared her own career journey in the TEDx Talk, "How I broke the rules & found my perfect job."
- Matt Morris - Matt is a Strategic Account Manager for Randstad Technologies US. He and Randstad have partnered with PMI Memphis for several years to bring attention to match chapter members to local job opportunities.
- Josh Burnwatt - Josh earned his BBA in Management Information Systems and his MBA from University of Memphis. As a student of the PMI/FCBE partnership courses, Josh used the skills and network of mentors provided to pursue a career in project management. In his role as Senior Applications Analyst, Josh is responsible for supporting the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in design, development, implementation, evaluation, and maintenance of its information systems.
- Bobby Johnson - Bobby is owner of Bright Perspective Coaching. He is also an adjunct instructor at University of Memphis. Bobby has dedicated his career to directing individuals and groups toward purpose. He brings over 30 years of project management, teaching, and coaching experience, including leadership roles in the US Air Force and Fortune 500 companies.
Fogelman College’s MIS Group Collaborates with Project Management Institute (PMI) to Create Unique Learning Experience for Students
Partnership for educational excellence
The College's Department of Management Information Systems (MIS) at University of Memphis and the Memphis TN Chapter of the Project Management Institute (PMI) share a strong mutual commitment to promoting professionalism in Project Management by providing top-quality education to maximize professional effectiveness. Since 2006, the Department has partnered with PMI Memphis Chapter to create a unique learning experience for business students by bringing the excitement and challenge of real-life project management into the classroom. The purpose of the program is to provide authentic project experience to undergraduate majors enrolled in the Strategic Information Technology Project Management course (MIS3885), taught by Dr. Sandra Richardson.
The course is offered to all business majors but mandatory for MIS majors. The students’ learning experience is supported by the PMI Memphis Chapter members with Project Management Professional (PMP) designation, representing local business organizations such as FedEx, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and Hilton. Many of these project managers and executives provide guest lectures on cutting-edge project management topics throughout the semester, while others serve as mentors providing targeted, hands-on instruction to support student development of a conceptual online business system. Additionally, the PMI Memphis Chapter sponsor a Project Management Contest to motivate and reward the student project team that achieved the best project performance and results.
The MIS3885 Support Program is an excellent fit for our Chapter Mission, which is to promote the goals and principles of PMI; support Project Management Professional (PMP) certification efforts of members; provide training in specific project management skills and knowledge areas; provide a networking opportunity for project managers and share project management experiences.