In February 2020, PMI (Global) announced plans to retire its long-standing Registered Education Provider (REP) program and to replace it with the Authorized Training Partner (ATP) program. As an REP, PMI Memphis and its wonderful volunteer trainers have provided top-notch certification prep training to hundreds of area members and non-members. We have helped many realize their goals to earn the Project Management Professional (PMP) certficiation and to leverage those PMP certifications to earn raises, promotions, and strategic employment changes.
In order to continue to provide this service, PMI Memphis must certify its ATP program and operate within the guidelines required of all PMI-certified ATP programs. Please note that effective January 2021, PMI (Global) will only recognize PMI-certified ATP programs as authorized to teach PMP Prep. Organizations offering certifications in Disciplined Agile must also be certified by PMI as Authorized Training Partners.
Key Differences between REP and ATP
- We must use teaching and student materials provided only by PMI.
- We must pay our instructors, and they must take training directly from PMI.
- Our instructors cannot also serve as volunteers for PMI Memphis while serving as paid instructors.
- Instructors are required, by PMI Global, to have minimum 3 years Agile experience.
- As a chapter, we must apply to become an ATP and have our application accepted by PMI Global.
- We must comply with required standards and policies and pay significant annual fees to PMI in order maintain ATP privileges to teach PMP certification prep.
What We Will NOT Change in our PMI Memphis Certification Prep Program
- Our ATP program, once certified, will still be led by a volunteer Board Member and a volunteer Director of PMP Education.
- Our instructors will be paid from 2021 onward, but they will still be primarily full-time project manager or agile practitioners who also want to share their expertise in their spare time.
- Our classes will continue to be offered primarily on Tuesday and Thursday nights over a period of weeks.
- We will continue to offer a web-based classroom experience even if we also begin teaching in a physical classroom again.
- We will never record our certification prep training classes if limited by intellectual property agreements.
- We will always strive to pass along the best learning experience, materials, and prices to area members, non-members, and companies.
- We will always allow students to audit our classes (take the class again for free, space permitting) in lieu of offering money-back guarantees in order to help our students reach their certification goals. If student materials change over time, students would be responsible for paying for updated materials.
- Complaints and concerns expressed by students and/or their companies must be sent to [email protected] or [email protected] These will be addressed within the week (5 business days). A customer's escalation path will be to [email protected], allowing another 5 business days for response time.
- Policies and procedures (currently under construction) will be maintained current and reviewed for refresh annually.
- August 2020 - ATP submission accepted by PMI
- Auguest 2020 - Policies and procedures documentation drafted and made available to the Board for approval
- September 2020 - Policies and procedures approved by the board
- October 2020 - PMI Memphis ATP program web pages completed
- August to November 2020 - Trainers for 2021 to be identified and trained
- Novmeber 2020 - PMP Certification Prep training dates set and registration events published
- January 2021 - PMI requires that all PMP certification prep be taught ONLY BY PMI-CERTIFIED ATP organizations